[Histonet] Disposal of Formaldehyde

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Fri Mar 13 14:41:49 CDT 2009

Formaldehyde can mess up the bacteria that treat the sewage.  We used to neutralize our formaldehyde with Richard Allen's "Vytac" and send the results down the drain.  Two years ago we were told that we would have to get a license and do quantitative analysis on each batch in order to continue using "Vytac".  Now we pay a waste hauler to dispose of our annual gallon of formalin.  If we had a lot of it, we would recycle it ourselves.
Allen A. Smith, Ph.D.
Barry University School of Podiatric Medicine
Miami Shores, Florida

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Jessica Piche
Sent: Friday, March 13, 2009 10:11 AM
To: histonet
Subject: [Histonet] Disposal of Formaldehyde

Hi All,
We have a question regarding the disposal of formaldehyde. We were told at our hospital that a consultant said it was okay to dump formaldehyde down the drain. I believe they said it was okay to dump 15 gallons or so a day! We are not to fond of this idea and would like to know what everyone else is doing. How is everyone disposing of their formaldehyde? We would be especially interested in what other hospitals in CT are doing.
Thanks,
Jessica Piche-Grocki, HT(ASCP)