[Histonet] Disposal of Formaldehyde

Bryan Watson Bryan.Watson <@t> parkview.com
Fri Mar 13 09:25:39 CDT 2009

I'm in Indiana. Here, it is up to the city. We dump all of ours down the drain and supposedly the city has ok'd that. They say that our hospital is big enough that all of the water used here will dilute the formalin enough to make it ok. However I had heard, back when I was in school that formalin kills the beneficial bacteria they use at water treatment plants. So I'm opposed to putting it down the drain. . . yet, that's how we do it here.
Bryan

>>> Jessica Piche <jessgrocki <@t> yahoo.com> 3/13/2009 10:11 AM >>>

Hi All,
We have a question regarding the disposal of formaldehyde. We were told at our hospital that a consultant said it was okay to dump formaldehyde down the drain. I believe they said it was okay to dump 15 gallons or so a day! We are not to fond of this idea and would like to know what everyone else is doing. How is everyone disposing of their formaldehyde? We would be especially interested in what other hospitals in CT are doing.
Thanks,
Jessica Piche-Grocki, HT(ASCP)