[Histonet] RE: Histonet Digest, Vol 64, Issue 17

Stancel, Barbara Barbara.Stancel <@t> fsis.usda.gov
Thu Mar 12 08:12:02 CDT 2009

Kris,
If you want to melt paraffin for changing the processor, etc. you might
think about getting a paraffin dispenser and a separate slide dryer.

We have lab heat issues in the summer. We got rid of the incubator that
melted our paraffin and got a Paraffin dispenser (TBS cat # PD-120). It
holds 6.25 gal of paraffin at whatever temp we want. It takes about 3-6
hrs to completely melt or we turn it on the night before to use the next
morn. It has a coffee pot type spigot for dispensing. It took us a while
to get used to not having liquid paraffin at any time we want, but the
benefit was an extra 2-3 degrees of cool air during our hot summer
months.

We have dedicated slide dryers. One is mobile and gets put on our
downdraft during the summer heat.

We even have the embedding centers with timers so we can eliminate some
of their heat. Now if we can just figure out how to keep those two
embedding centers from rising the lab temp while we are
embedding................

Barbara
Barbara Stancel, HTL(ASCP)HT
USDA, FSIS, EL, Pathology