[Histonet] metal molds vs. disposable molds

Bonner, Janet Janet.Bonner <@t> FLHOSP.ORG
Tue Mar 10 11:03:40 CDT 2009

Metal molds here....we tried the plastic molds but the base would rise up creating an indentation in the block, we needed a flat surface.  We wash our molds in an old processor, using the old baskets and running a xylene to alcohol to 95% EtOH run.  Then we spread them on a towel to dry and spray them with a mold release.  We still use the small plastic molds for the biopsies, however.  The metal molds are great for cooling quickly.
    In another lab I worked in, we used all plastic molds - and to not have to wash the molds, just replace as needed, was heaven!
    I would recommend trying each and see what works for your lab.

Janet L. Bonner, HTL (ASCP)
Pathology Laboratory
________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Sharon Campbell
Sent: Tue 3/10/2009 11:55 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] metal molds vs. disposable molds

Hello everyone,

We have a debate going on about purchasing metal molds vs. disposable
plastic molds. Which is better? Is the cost better in the long run to
buy metal? Also, how does everyone clean their metal molds?

Thanks

Sharon Campbell, HTL(ASCP)CM, BSBM

Histology Supervisor

Celligent Diagnostics, LLC

Formerly Pathology Associates Services

101 East W.T. Harris Blvd, Suite 1212

Charlotte, NC  28262

800-524-6779 ext. 104

704-970-3304 Direct Line

sharonc <@t> celligent.net

The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this
message and deleting the material from any computer.