[Histonet] new FS stain problem

Bonner, Janet Janet.Bonner <@t> FLHOSP.ORG
Mon Mar 9 10:47:07 CDT 2009

When you put the first frozen section on the slide near the label, dip it label side down in the FS fixative so that the fixative just covers the section.  Put the consecutive section on the non-label end and then put the whole slide in fixative..Have to fix those sections ASAP!!

Janet L. Bonner, HTL (ASCP)
Pathology Laboratory
Florida Hospital Winter Park

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of King, Laurie
Sent: Mon 3/9/2009 11:05 AM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] new FS stain problem

Good day all,

I am doing frozen sectioning at three different facilities in two towns, and this problem is identical at each.
The first section I keep, I'm in the habit of placing at the frosted end of the slide. No matter if I take one, two, three or more, that first section is almost non existent hematoxylin, very blurry staining.

Thinking I was having contamination, solution level problems, I checked all levels and made sure to have no dripping from the top of the slide, still the same problem. Then, on a whim, I put the first section at the bottom of the slide, and two more working my way toward the frosted end. The first section, placed at the bottom of the slide now, still had  the poor staining. Any ideas?

I use OCT
fix in half and half formalin/95% ETOH
DW
Harris
tap
bluing
tap
eosin
95% X2
100% X2
xylene X2

Let's just say I am a "seasoned" tech, been doing this for almost 30 years, so I'm not a little embarrassed by my inability to figure this one out.....

Laurie King
Marshfield Clinic
Eau Claire/Rice Lake Centers
Eau Claire WI

The information contained in this message may be privileged and/or confidential
and protected from disclosure.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution
or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by replying to this
message and deleting the material from any computer.