[Histonet] Bone marrow aspirates from mouse

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Mar 9 10:44:01 CDT 2009

Use the same thing you would use for a blood smear: methanol 5 minutes and air dry it.
René J.

--- On Mon, 3/9/09, Vanessa J. Phelan <vjp2105 <@t> columbia.edu> wrote:

From: Vanessa J. Phelan <vjp2105 <@t> columbia.edu>
Subject: [Histonet] Bone marrow aspirates from mouse
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Monday, March 9, 2009, 11:39 AM

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with taking bone marrow
aspirates from mice for analysis, staining with Giemsa and for IHC?
My query is, once the aspirate has been taken and then cytospinned down and
spread on the slide, what fixative would you use at this point before
staining? Maybe formal alcohol? PFA? Or maybe even cytofix spray? also where
to store the slides? -80 freezer?

Any help on this would be much appreciated, as this procedure has not been
carried out here before and I have no experience in this either.

Thanks a mill,

Vanessa