[Histonet] Masson's trichrome stain

Walters, Katherine S katherine-walters <@t> uiowa.edu
Fri Mar 6 16:26:44 CST 2009

I am having a problem with Biebrich Scarlet.  I am attempting to do a
Masson's stain on some mouse heart tissue.  Instead of the strikingly
bright red of the muscle tissue I am getting a purple color instead.
Everything else looks fine.  The hearts are fixed in Penfix and are
embedded in paraffin. We make the solution up fresh for each run.  I am
using Sigma's Ponceau BS (CI 26905).  Any ideas?

Katherine Walters
Histology Director
Central Microscopy Research Facilities
85 Eckstein Medical Research Building