[Histonet] HT exam

Jennifer MacDonald JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu
Fri Mar 6 16:03:25 CST 2009

http://www.ascp.org/pdf/HTHTLSummaryofStainsforComputerExamination.aspx

Sorry.  The link was incomplete.

Jennifer MacDonald <JMacDonald <@t> mtsac.edu>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
03/06/2009 01:59 PM

"MaryAnn Dixon" <DixonM <@t> vetmed.ufl.edu>
cc
histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu,
histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject
Re: [Histonet] HT exam

MaryAnn,
The ASCP uses Computer Adaptive Testing (CAT) for the certification exams.

 As another person responded your questions will be based on the response
to the previous questions.  If you get the answer right subsequent
questions asked will be of increasing difficulty and worth more points.
The maximum score is 999.  You need 400 to pass the exam.  It is wise to
answer each questions to the best of your ability so that you will receive

questions with higher point values.  You will have an opportunity to
review all or some of your responses before you submit the exam.  At the
conclusion of the exam you will get a message on the screen to indicate
that you have passed or failed.  You will receive your final score in the
mail in about 10 days.  Applicants that are not successful will receive a
breakdown of the scores by category (fixation, processing, microtomy,
staining, and lab operations).  Successful applicants just receive the
total score.  You will have 2.5 hours to answer the 100 questions.  40-50%

of the exam is based on staining so that is an area that you will want to
concentrate on, but not at the exclusion of the others.  The test
questions have been updated so don't rely on receiving "old school
questions".  Also remember that since 2001 cytology preparation is
included.  You are also responsible for the basic theory of IHC, including

antigen retrieval, controls, and antibody preparation.

The following link will direct you to an explanation of CAT.

http://www.ascp.org/FunctionalNavigation/certification/GetCertified/ComputerAdaptiveTestingCAT.aspx

This link will direct you to the examination guidelines for the HT/HTL
exams.  On the last page is a list of stains to concentrate on.
http://www.ascp.org/pdf/

Jennifer MacDonald
Education Coordinator, Histotechnician Training Program
Mt. San Antonio College
1100 N. Grand Ave.
Walnut, CA 91789
(909) 594-5611 ext. 4884
jmacdonald <@t> mtsac.edu

"MaryAnn Dixon" <DixonM <@t> vetmed.ufl.edu>
Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
03/06/2009 10:53 AM

cc

Subject
[Histonet] HT exam

Hi everyone out there in Histoland,

Well, I'm getting close to my HT exam date and was wondering if any of
you had recently taken the exam.  I can't find any info on the test
itself as far as if it is weighted or just a straight 150 questions. Can
you flag questions and go back?  Do you know when you submit the test if
you have passed or not?  I've been told in the past that the computer
would just shut off and a screen would come up pass or fail.  Anyway, I
have been focusing on Frieda Carson as well as the AFIP manual.  Any
suggestions for a successful passing score?  I think you have to get a
minimum of 400.  Should I be concerned with microwave special stains?  I
would think the test is more old school.  Any helpful hints would be
truly appreciated.  Thanks!

MaryAnn Dixon BS

Biological Scientist

Anatomic Pathology