[Histonet] Storage of muscles

Hofecker, Jennifer L jennifer.l.hofecker <@t> Vanderbilt.Edu
Wed Mar 4 08:16:43 CST 2009

I agree with Tony that a -70 freezer is ideal. We wrap our samples in aluminum foil and then place in a plastic container. If you only have access to a -20 freezer, it's helpful to place cold packs in the freezer, near where you will store the muscle samples. When a -20 freezer cycles, the temperature can fluctuate enough to create artifact. We've found that if we keep several disposable cold packs in a -20 that we can keep the temperature more consistent.
Good Luck!

Jennifer L. Hofecker HT(ASCP)
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Division of Neuropathology
Nashville, TN
ph 615.343.0083
fax 615.343.7089

-----Original Message-----
From: Tony Henwood [mailto:AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au]
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 3:59 PM
To: rennie1108 <@t> yahoo.com; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Storage of muscles

Minus 70 degrees
A normal minus 20 freezer tends to dessicate the tissue

Regards

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist
Tel: 612 9845 3306
Fax: 612 9845 3318
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA