[Histonet] RE: bone histology and storage

Swain, Frances L SwainFrancesL <@t> uams.edu
Tue Mar 3 14:56:07 CST 2009

We wrap the bone in saline soaked gauze and freeze at -20 degrees C for bone strength testing.  If we receive bone for histomorphometric analysis we store our bones in 100% Alcohol.  If the Bones are for paraffin sectioning we fix for at least 3 days wash in running tap water and store in 70% EtOh.  We prefer to go ahead and process the specimens into paraffin blocks but if the specimens are going to be used for something else then we take them to 70% EtOh.  For Bone Mechanical testing which I believe you are looking for.  By removing the bone, wrapping in saline soaked gauze and freezing does not hurt the tensile strength.  When we get ready to test for 3 point bending,etc we thaw the bone test and then destroy.

Frances L. Swain HT(ASCP) A. A. S.
Special Procedures Technician
Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
Center for Orthopaedic Research
Barton Research Building 2R28
4301 West Markham Street
Little Rock AR 72205
(501) 686-8739 PHONE
(501) 686-8987 FAX
swainfrancesl <@t> uams.edu email
-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Breisch, Eric
Sent: Tuesday, March 03, 2009 2:40 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] bone histology and storage

Does anyone have a methodology for long term storage of bone? Formalin
vs alcohol? Orthopedic group here is wondering whether bone for research
purposes should be preferentially stored in alcohol. They aren't
interested in immunohistochemistry but rather tensile properties of
bone. I haven't been able to find any information on the advantages or
disadvantages of bone storage with formalin vs alcohol and hope that
someone may be able to shed light on this issue or direct me to the
appropriate information site. Thanks in advance for your help.

Eric

Eric A. Breisch, Ph.D.

Clinical Anatomist

Dept. of Pathology

Rady Children's Hospital and Health Center

Associate Clinical Professor of Anatomy

Dept. of Surgery

UCSD School of Medicine