[Histonet] Re: Mohs technique

Kim Tournear kimtournear <@t> yahoo.com
Tue Mar 3 09:48:28 CST 2009

The derm office I workd in found a neat little gadget called a "cryo-embedder". It is sold by Belaire Instruments and works great. Better than trying to use cryomolds, slides, etc...

~Kim Tournear ~ HT (ASCP), QIHC (ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
Tucson Medical Center
Tucson,  AZ
~Don't let your life end before it begins~
OU Rocks!!!!

--- On Wed, 2/25/09, whitmorel <whitmorel <@t> mindspring.com> wrote:

From: whitmorel <whitmorel <@t> mindspring.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Mohs technique
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Wednesday, February 25, 2009, 12:21 PM

First of all, there is no apostrophe in Mohs. Sorry, being picky is a necessity
for a Mohs tech.  How are you mounting your tissue?  Are you using a glass slide
to mount the tissue?  There are several different method out there for mounting
tissue so you can be sure the entire epidermis is completely down and air
bubbles are out of the tissue.  You might have your surgeon contact the Mohs
College and see about getting a trainer to come and work with you.  With your
background, the 2 days the College suggests would work great. The other
alternative is to go and visit a trainer.  If you go onto the website
www.mohscollege.org you can find a list of Mohs histotech trainers.

Lynn Whitmore HT(ASCP)
Mohs Histotechnology Trainer

-
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 17
>Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:56:12 -0800 (PST)
>From: Steven Coakley <sjchtascp <@t> yahoo.com>
>Subject: [Histonet] Moh's techniques
>To: Histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
>
>Good morning all,
>
>I'm learning a new way to do Moh's.  Much more relaxed compared to
how I did them years ago with a Pathologist looking over my shoulder while I
attempted to cryosection 12, 3,9,12 o'clock boarders, stain them by hand and
the Dermatologist wanting the results "yesterday".  I'd
like  to get some ideas as to techniques Moh's Techs are using out there
that work well in assuring that one gets the entire skin edge.  I'd also
Like to shadow in any fairly local Moh's labs in the So.WI or No. Ill. area.