[Histonet] GI biopsies fixed in Hollandes fixative

Debra.Ortiz <@t> uchospitals.edu Debra.Ortiz <@t> uchospitals.edu
Tue Jun 23 18:04:07 CDT 2009

We have an on going discussion about fixation time, and rinsing time
when it comes to GI bx's fixed in Hollandes.

The biopsies are currently brought into the grossing room in Hollandes,
and grossed in the afternoon. At that time, they are placed in 70%
alcohol until the evening when they are then put on VIPS.

Our questions are these: What is the general rule about how long small
GI biopsies have to fix in Hollandes? How long must they rinse in 70%
alcohol before going on the processors.

If we are rinsing out the picric acid, can it follow the same rule as
those fixed in Bouins and rinsed for approximately 30-45 minutes?

Thank you very much for any information on this,

Debra Ann Ortiz

Chief Medical Technologist

The University of Chicago Medical Center

Room E-602-A

5841 S. Maryland Avenue

Chicago, Il 60637

phone: 773.702.5237

This e-mail is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which
it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged and confidential.
If the reader of this e-mail message is not the intended recipient, you are
communication is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please
notify the sender and destroy all copies of the transmittal.

Thank you
University of Chicago Medical Center