[Histonet] Storage of tissues in PFA beforedehydrationandembedding

Tony Henwood AnthonyH <@t> chw.edu.au
Mon Jun 8 18:28:54 CDT 2009

Then you will have to use frozen sections not FFPE tissues.
May be one of the formalin-free fixatives might work.
You will need to experiment and see
=20

Regards=20

Tony Henwood JP, MSc, BAppSc, GradDipSysAnalys, CT(ASC)=20
Laboratory Manager & Senior Scientist=20
Tel: 612 9845 3306=20
Fax: 612 9845 3318=20
the children's hospital at westmead
Cnr Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead
Locked Bag 4001, Westmead NSW 2145, AUSTRALIA=20

	-----Original Message-----
	From: TF [mailto:tifei <@t> foxmail.com]=20
	Sent: Monday, 8 June 2009 12:50 PM
	To: Patsy Ruegg; Tony Henwood; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
	Subject: Re: RE: [Histonet] Storage of tissues in PFA beforedehydrationand=
embedding
=09
	Just want to mention a point that some antigens are too fragile to PFA and=
 in my hand can not be retrieval"ed" anymore...such as rat CD31.
	=20
	=20
	=20
	2009-06-08=20
=09
________________________________

	TF=20
=09
________________________________

	=B7=A2=BC=FE=C8=CB=A3=BA Patsy Ruegg=20
	=B7=A2=CB=CD=CA=B1=BC=E4=A3=BA 2009-06-08  00:13:46=20
	=CA=D5=BC=FE=C8=CB=A3=BA 'Tony Henwood'; histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu=
=20
	=B3=AD=CB=CD=A3=BA=20
	=D6=F7=CC=E2=A3=BA RE: [Histonet] Storage of tissues in PFA beforedehydrat=
ionandembedding=20
=09
=09
	I agree with Tony, the problem is usually underfixation not over with
	aldehyde fixatives, if you do not stabilize the proteins by fixing (Bryan
	Hewlett says this takes 24 hrs. no matter the size of the tissue) paraffin
	processing will adversely affect your tissue and in some cases the proteins
	of interest will be washed away and lost with no change or no amount of AR
	to get them back.  Researchers are stuck in the days before AR techniques
	when cross linking of proteins by aldehyde fixation was a problem because =
we
	did not know how to retrieve them, but now we do, and the bigger problem is
	losing antigens from paraffin processing because they have not been
	adequately fixed to protect them.  I recommend 24-72 hour fixation in
	aldehyde fixative and then the tissues can be placed in 70% alcohol.
	Patsy
	Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
	IHCtech
	12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215