[Histonet] Re: Modified Davidson's fixative use

Robert Richmond rsrichmond <@t> gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 12:25:34 CDT 2009

Teri Johnson, HT(ASCP)QIHC, Managing Director Histology Facility,
Stowers Institute for Medical Research in Kansas City, Missouri asks:

>>For those who use modified Davidson's fixative for your samples, do you do a water rinse prior to starting them in alcohol dehydration series, or simply go from fixative into the alcohol?<<

When I use modified Davidson's fixative as a disclosing fixative for
lymph nodes in colon resection specimens, I'll wash the tissue briefly
to reduce the smell, since my gross desk is unventilated (long story).
The cassettes containing the dissected lymph nodes will go into
neutral buffered formalin at least briefly before being processed
through alcohols.

Bob Richmond
Samurai Pathologist
Knoxville TN