[Histonet] immunohistochemistry

Patsy Ruegg pruegg <@t> ihctech.net
Sun Jun 7 11:01:17 CDT 2009

I have done extensive IHC work on bone and cartilage samples and in my
experience, controlled enzyme digestion such as pepsin at 37dc flat on a
slide warmer, or trypsin, or proteinase K are my first choices for AR on
bone samples.  Complete draining and airdrying is a must before heating the
slides, I, like Gayle try to airdry overnight after completely draining the
water by standing the slides up for at least an hour.  Drying them flat on a
slide warmer at 37-40dc is suggested.  I do heat them on the same flat slide
warmer (mine goes up to only 55dc) to melt the paraffin for maybe 30 min or
so.

Patsy

Patsy Ruegg, HT(ASCP)QIHC
IHCtech
12635 Montview Blvd. Ste.215
Aurora, CO 80045
720-859-4060
fax 720-859-4110
www.ihctech.net
www.ihcrg.org

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of gayle callis
Sent: Friday, June 05, 2009 3:28 PM
To: 'Troutman, Kenneth A'; 'Histonet'
Subject: RE: [Histonet] immunohistochemistry

Good advice since actively boiling buffer puts mechanical stresses on
section, with bone more easily loosened by this action. It may help to
preheat the buffer to 95C before slide/section immersion into retrieval
buffer. A friend who is an IHC expert always did this, plus she used plastic
coplin jars (safer!).

Also, we dry all our decalcified, paraffin embedded bone slides FLAT, at 37C
to 40C for overnight, with longer better - be sure slides are well drained
before laying them flat.  You can go to a 56C paraffin oven for a short time
(just enough to melt paraffin) after overnight if you desire, but you find
that unnecessary.

Gayle M. Callis
HTL(ASCP)HT,MT
Bozeman MT 59715