[Histonet] Microtome Problems

Deborah Faichney d.a.faichney <@t> stir.ac.uk
Mon Jun 1 04:12:00 CDT 2009

Sharon,

There are little springs located behind the knife holder plate . If one of these is lost then it can cause the twisting that you describe.  This happened to me years ago when stripping and cleaning one of our Leica 2035 microtome's.  Hope this helps.

Debbie

Debbie Faichney
Histopathology
Institute of Aquaculture
University of Stirling
Stirling
Scotland
UK

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Veterinary Services Laboratory
Sent: 29 May 2009 15:12
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Microtome Problems

Hello All

I'm new to the group and histo. (3 years) so far I'm getting a lot of useful tips from all the messages.  Thank you.

I have two microtomes that were working almost perfectly before I had a technician service them.  Now, the Leica 2035 Jung biocuts' blade holder is twisting to the side (going up at one end).  I have tried tightening, slacking, and cleaning the entire assembly to no avail.  Does anyone know of where I might be able to source one or even how to fix the one I have.

Secondly, the Leitz 1512 rotary microtome, is now jumping forward and giving a loud clanking noise.  It takes huge chunks out of the tissue.

Any and all help is appreciated,

Thank you

Sharon

Ms. Sharon Drayton

Veterinary Services Laboratory

Ministry of Agriculture & Rural Development

The Pine

St. Michael BB11091

Barbados

Tel:  (246) 427-5492 or (246) 427-5073

Fax: (246)426-7517

Email:  vetlab <@t> caribsurf.com

Website:  www.agriculture.gov.bb

--
Academic Excellence at the Heart of Scotland.
The University of Stirling is a charity registered in Scotland,