[Histonet] RE:Antigen retrieval paraffin skin samples

Sorenson, Jon (Nampa) JonSorenson <@t> chiwest.com
Thu Jul 30 10:30:37 CDT 2009

We use and like the PASCAL pressure cooker system from DAKO, it is
uniform, convenient and fairly
Easy to use.
Jon

Jon Sorenson
Histology Coordinator
Mercy Medical Center
jonsorenso <@t> chiwest.com
208-463-5267

Message: 17
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 2009 14:05:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Nicholas David Evans" <ndevans <@t> stanford.edu>
Subject: [HISTONET] Antigen retrieval paraffin skin samples
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

Dear all,

Might anyone be able to offer their advice on the best method to
retrieve
antigens on paraffin embedded skin sections? I am immunostaining for
epithelial cytokeratins, and I have block-to-block variation in the
quality of the staining - some block give consistently good staining
while
others giving negligible staining. The tissues were prepared by fixation
in 4% PFA for 24 - 48 hours followed by dehydration and embedding. I
currently use 15 mins Ficin digestion. I suspect that the differences
may
be accounted for by variability in the length of time samples were fixed
in PFA and then 70% ethanol.

Best wishes

Nick