[Histonet] computer order enrty

Michael Mihalik mike <@t> pathview.com
Tue Jul 28 14:56:27 CDT 2009

Victor, just as an fyi, in our system, THAT's when we create an accession
number.  Prior to this point, it's only an ORDER #.
This gives the lab the flexibility to separate 'like' accn #'s, plus some
other things.  I concur that the benefits of an order entry interface are
HUGE.  The only caveat is that you usually have to 'massage' the surgical
case data.  For pap smears, order entry data is often times 100% accurate.

But I'd still like to hear the 'details' about why it's commonplace to
separate like specimen.  I have a suspicion that this would no longer be
needed if all materials are bar coded, but I need to hear the details behind
this policy in order to make up my mind.

Michael Mihalik
PathView Systems | cell: 214.733.7688 | 800.798.3540 | fax: 270.423.0968

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Victor
Tobias
Sent: Tuesday, July 28, 2009 1:50 PM
To: Horn, Hazel V
Cc: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; Hutton, Allison
Subject: Re: [Histonet] computer order enrty

I thought I'd give you my observations on OE. I don't know anything
about Meditech, but with PowerPath it can be very nice. We have
established OE with EPIC. When we receive the specimen, we enter the
order number and virtually every field you need is filled in, patient
demographics, referring physician, specimen and clinical information.
Our accessioner just verifies the information, sometimes the specimen
needs to be changed to pull in the correct lab orders. It is a great
time saver.

Victor

Victor Tobias
Clinical Applications Analyst
University of Washington Medical Center
Dept of Pathology Room BB220
1959 NE Pacific
Seattle, WA 98195
victor <@t> pathology.washington.edu
206-598-2792
206-598-7659 Fax
Privileged, confidential or patient identifiable information may be
contained in this message. This information is meant only for the use
of the intended recipients. If you are not the intended recipient, or
if the message has been addressed to you in error, do not read,
disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this
transmission. Instead, please notify the sender by reply e-mail, and
then destroy all copies of the message and any attachments.