[Histonet] IMMUNO STAINING--DECOLORIZING

McMahon, Loralee A Loralee_Mcmahon <@t> URMC.Rochester.edu
Fri Jul 24 12:07:26 CDT 2009

We have had similar problems with the Vulcan Fast Red not staining.  It was suggested by the vendor to buy the fast red in smaller amounts (they actually repackaged the product) so that the chromogen was not being taken out of the fridge and put back in too many times.  Depending on your workflow you may want to aliquot out the chromogen for each run or each couple of runs?
When we see it starting to fade we use fresh fast red.  That usually takes care of the problem.
I have never had any luck restaining with the fast red.  And I have tried many times.

Loralee McMahon, HTL (ASCP)
Immunohistochemistry Supervisor
University of Rochester
Department of Pathology

(585) 275-7210

________________________________

From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu on behalf of Diana McCaig
Sent: Fri 7/24/2009 1:01 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] IMMUNO STAINING--DECOLORIZING

We had a series of PIN 4 cocktail immuno stains and got a poor reaction.
I am afraid to cut deeper in the block and miss the area of concern.
I have determined the problem was due to the heat bar not being turned
on.

What can I do the slides to reverse the process and restain them.  The
DAB stained good, it is the vulcan fast red that was not reacting.

Diana