[Histonet] GMS-Fungus on nails

jstaruk jstaruk <@t> masshistology.com
Fri Jul 24 10:41:05 CDT 2009

Prepare a 10% solution of Titebond II premium wood glue (found in most
hardware stores).  Dip the slide in the solution just before mounting the
section on the slide.  Let the slide dry and stain away.

Jim

_______________________
James E. Staruk HT(ASCP)
 www.masshistology.com
   www.nehorselabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Clare
Thornton
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 11:31 AM
To: 'histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu'
Subject: [Histonet] GMS-Fungus on nails

We do a GMS for fungus on all nails we receive.  We often have a difficult
time keeping the nail tissue on the slide.  We've tried baking for long
periods, pre-treating in formalin, using silane slides, with no luck.  Even
when the nails cut relatively easily we still lose it, and end up running
several GMS stains before we might get a speck or two of tissue we can look
at.  We use the Artisan stainer for our specials.  We are really not
interested in performing the GMS manually, due to volume and turn around
time restrictions.  Any suggestions?

Clare J. Thornton, HTL(ASCP)
Assistant Histology Supervisor
Dahl-Chase Diagnostic Services