[Histonet] Start Up Lab

Podawiltz, Thomas tpodawiltz <@t> lrgh.org
Thu Jul 23 12:40:43 CDT 2009

I went to the Navy's MLT program in 79-80 and we did drug screens manually and the chemicals that we used would give us a buzz. Thought it was ironic that I was getting high while looking for drugs in somebody else.

Tom Podawiltz, HT (ASCP)
Histology Section Head/Laboratory Safety Officer
LRGHealthcare
603-524-3211 ext: 3220
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Va Paula Sicurello [vapatpxs <@t> yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 1:30 PM
To: Lynette Pavelich; HistoNet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Start Up Lab

In the 80's I worked in a drug screening lab for the Navy and one step in the extraction involved fuming HCl (meaning pure HCl).  Several of the techs got nose bleeds every time they used the stuff.  I finally pried open a window (they were painted shut) and we turned on a fan the size of a propeller to blow the fumes out the window.

We used Xylene in a room with no ventilation and found out that high concentrations of xylene cause "transient euphoria".  No wonder we thought every thing was funny during those days.

Safety people, they take all the fun out of research!  ;-)

Paula Sicurello

VA Medical Center San Diego

Veterans Medical Research Foundation (VMRF)

Core Research Imaging Center (CRIC)

3350 La Jolla Village Dr., MC151

San Diego, CA 92161

858-552-8585 x2397