[Histonet] More quality stuff

Lynette Pavelich lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
Wed Jul 22 12:29:38 CDT 2009

Hi Kathy,
Do you have a sample form you would be willing to share?

thanks,
Lynette

Lynette Pavelich, HT(ASCP)
Histology Supervisor
MSH Competency Coordinator
Hurley Medical Center
One Hurley Plaza
Flint, MI  48503
email: Lpaveli1 <@t> hurleymc.com
ph:  810-257-9948
fax:  810-762-7082
>>> "Kathleen Boozer" <BoozerKA <@t> ah.org> 07/22/09 1:26 PM >>>
We have had tremendous success with setting up "checkpoints" at each
step in tissue processing (cradle to grave).  Each checkpoint has
certain responsibilities to identify, double-check, and assure accuracy.
 I keep track of discrepancy errors at each checkpoint and determine if
personnel need to be re-trained, held accountable, or possibly add or
revise checkpoints.

It takes a lot of time to do this.  What I have found though, is that we
prevent most errors by the checkpoint after it initially happens and
long before it goes out of the department.

Kathy

>>> kristen arvidson <arvidsonkristen <@t> yahoo.com> 07/22/2009 09:58 >>>
Hi-
As most of you have gathered I am working on a large quality project.  I
have made a lot of progress.  Currently, my focus is error prevention.
I have read up on tools such as six sigma and FMEA.  My question is how
do you guys prevent errors?  I have learned that you cannot always count
on the diligence of the employee because even the best will screw up
sooner or later, so my focus is on process improvement.  How are you all
approaching your process improvements?

Thank you all for your input.  You've all been a big help!!

-Kristen