[Histonet] histology for kids

Smith, Allen asmith <@t> mail.barry.edu
Wed Jul 22 11:29:22 CDT 2009

If you ripen it with air or sodium iodate, alum hematoxylin is quite safe.  FD&C green #3 is food grade fast green FCF, an excellent stain for collagen.  FD&C yellow #5 is tartrazine, a plasma stain.

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Kim Merriam
Sent: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 9:58 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: [Histonet] histology for kids

Hello All,

My company is hosting an in-house science awareness day for local grade-school students.  I would love to teach them about histology, but all of the demonstrations need to be done in our conference room (thus, nothing hazardous).  Does anyone know of any house-hold dyes (grape juice, food coloring, beet juice, etc) that would stain tissue elements on slides?  I would like to bring down some deparaffinized tissues and stain them with something and throw a coverslip on (water-mounted) so that they can look at the tissue with a microscope.  I will also bring some already prepared slides (wtih real stains) for them to look at.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC