[Histonet] histology for kids

Kim Merriam kmerriam2003 <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jul 22 08:57:53 CDT 2009

Hello All,

My company is hosting an in-house science awareness day for local grade-school students.  I would love to teach them about histology, but all of the demonstrations need to be done in our conference room (thus, nothing hazardous).  Does anyone know of any house-hold dyes (grape juice, food coloring, beet juice, etc) that would stain tissue elements on slides?  I would like to bring down some deparaffinized tissues and stain them with something and throw a coverslip on (water-mounted) so that they can look at the tissue with a microscope.  I will also bring some already prepared slides (wtih real stains) for them to look at.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kim

Kim Merriam, MA, HT(ASCP)QIHC