[Histonet] RE: human vimentin IHC

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 09:47:31 CDT 2009

Jan:
I enjoyed your posting and I commend you for it.
This is what good professionals do, to share experiences and knowledge and this is one of the objectives of HistoNet.
René J.

--- On Wed, 7/15/09, Jan Shivers <shive003 <@t> umn.edu> wrote:

From: Jan Shivers <shive003 <@t> umn.edu>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] RE: human vimentin IHC
To: "histonet" <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>, "PALMER Jason (SVHM)" <Jason.PALMER <@t> svhm.org.au>
Date: Wednesday, July 15, 2009, 10:18 AM

Just a comment from the veterinary world... in my validation tests of Vimentin (clone V9 by Dako), I found that xVimentin DOES cross-react with dog, cat, pig, cow, horse, donkey, goat, sheep, deer, chicken, rabbit, frog (weakly), and primate.  Dako's data from the past stated that V9 Vimentin did cross-react with hamster and rat, but NOT with mouse.  I have not tried it myself on these last three animals.

So, if Dako's data is accurate, and as long as you're only working with mouse tissue as your host stromal tissue, you should be OK in using Vimentin, at least Dako's V9 Vimentin.  But be sure to do your own validation on the separate species first to prove that your antibody does not bind to mouse tissue, before proceeding with the whole project.

I also use heat retrieval (pressure cooker) in Dako Target Retrieval Solution for Vimentin antigen unmasking.  Citrate buffer for antigen retrieval also works fine.

Jan Shivers
Univ. of Minnesota
Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory
St. Paul, MN