[Histonet] HTL

thecitan <@t> yahoo.com thecitan <@t> yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 03:55:32 CDT 2009

Anne

I think most techs I know are in the voluntary category you speak of.

Most are happy being microtome monkeys and never exploring the other possibilities in the field. Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want to do. Although there are many things you can do with - like anne said- applying what you know.

As far as pathologists keeping you back -i think its just like any other business. The boss will always look to keep more money and will pay his workers the lowest he can. That's when you take your experience elsewhere, or simply stay somewhere for a while to learn and beef up that resume.

From: Anne van Binsbergen <annigyg <@t> gmail.com>

Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 12:01:24
To: Kemlo Rogerson<Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk>
Cc: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>; Shea's<jshea121 <@t> roadrunner.com>
Subject: Re: [Histonet] HTL

well said!!
your statement: 'Only when we step from behind the skirts
of the Medics will the sun shine on us' deserves dissection (pardon the pun)

are we volutarily 'behind the medics"
or
are we conveniently 'kept' there by those same medics

medics=pathologists (some exceptions)

where i come from most of these 'medics' are running the (very lucrative)
private labs and the techs are kept 'lean and hungry' - they are 'worker
bees'' grateful for work and paid a pittance.

i once voiced my desire to take unpaid leave in order to study further and
was refused time off for this, on the basis that i would then cost more to
employ!!!

i have a 4 year diploma (now called a BTech degree) - i am licensed as a
 Medical Technologist with Cell Path Speciality.
i am neither an HT or an HTL.
i have 30 years experience and have been supervising/managing AP labs for
over 15 years
but because i dont have a degree i would most likely have a hard time
finding employment in the USA or Canada - your loss guys.
its not what you call it its how you apply what you know - having a degree
does not make you a good tech.

flame away!!

AnnieinArabia (out of Africa)

--