[Histonet] HTL

Kemlo Rogerson Kemlo.Rogerson <@t> waht.swest.nhs.uk
Wed Jul 15 02:16:59 CDT 2009

Do you want the blunt truth?

There's a perception, even within the other disciplines in Diagnostic
Labs, that BMS's in Histology (HistoTechs) are second rate Scientists. I
know that's an inflammatory remark but I've battled with it for years.
Pharmacists, Physiotherapists, Ots, Audiologists and Speech Language
Therapists run Clinics treat Patients and are 'clinical'. The perception
is that 'scientists' are not clinical and before we get appreciated for
that we probably need to run Clinics ourselves but how do Histotechs/
BMS's achieve that? In the UK scientific staff are slowly doing that
with Anticoagulant Clinics, with advanced dissection and the reporting
of cervical smears after achieving the appropriate level of
qualification.

I'm hoping one day that the 'glass ceiling' will be taken off the Path
Labs and that a scientist will, after obtaining his/ her degree, Masters
(or PhD), like the Clinical Scientists, obtain the MRCPath and then
clinically lead a discipline. Only when we step from behind the skirts
of the Medics will the sun shine on us.

Does that help?

Kemlo Rogerson MSc MIBiol CBiol DMS CSci FIBMS (I tried).