[Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 68, Issue 13

Pamela Marcum mucram11 <@t> comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 15:45:28 CDT 2009

No, some of the people who have HTL certs were grandfathered in as they worked in the field for years and many were and are superviors today.  It is easy to forget if you were not one of the early group who had the experience and not the degree that some exceptions were made with every advance.

Since I have known many of these people for years I would trust some them with my tissue and a diagnosis before some with degrees and less experience.  No offense just my opinion.  We all need to work together and respect each others experience and not just letters behing a name for all cases.

Today you do need a BS to sit for the HTL and an associates for the HT.

Pam Marcum HT, BS, MS,

----- Original Message -----
From: histomike <@t> charter.net
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Cc: histonet-request <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 4:34:22 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
Subject: [Histonet] Re: Histonet Digest, Vol 68, Issue 13

I was under the impression that a Bachelor's Degree was required in order to receive certification as a HTL. According to the ASCP:

Histotechnologist, HTL(ASCP)

Application Fee: $210

To be eligible for this examination category, an applicant must satisfy the requirements of at least one of the following routes:

Route 1: Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university with a combination of 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) of biology and chemistry AND successful completion of a NAACLS accredited Histotechnician or Histotechnology program within the last 5 years; or

Route 2: Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited college/university with a combination of 30 semester hours (45 quarter hours) of biology and chemistry AND one year full time acceptable experience in a histopathology laboratory in the U.S., Canada or a CAP/The Joint Commission (JCAHO) accredited laboratory within the last ten years. This year of experience must be under the supervision of a pathologist (certified by the American Board of Pathology in Anatomic Pathology) or an appropriately board certified medical scientist.

Mike Schlicht, M.B.A., HLT (ASCP)

Message: 11