[Histonet] Rotary Microtome's and the Meditome

Akemi Allison-Tacha akemiat3377 <@t> yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 13:29:11 CDT 2009

Hi everyone in histoland,

I am in the market for 3 microtome's.  I was originally thinking of purchasing demo or refurbished Microm 355S units or comparable.  I used this unit when I set-up a TMA lab and was very happy with it.  I am in the process of demo'ing a Leica RM2255 unit.  The Leica unit has all the bells and whistles the Microm microtomes has, but it is on a separate device vs Microm's features are created internally.  I would like your thoughts on this.

Also, I was given some information on a NEW Microtome called the Meditome Rotary Microtome.  It is made in Germany by Medite and distributed by Micron, based in San Diego.  It is my understanding that the engineers who made the Reichert Jung and the Microm microtomes developed this new microtome.  It sells for under $10,000 and has a 2 year warranty vs the normal 1 year warranty.  Although it doesn't have all the fancy features, it looks like a solid unit.  Has anyone purchased one of these units, and if so, how do you like it?

Thanks,
Akemi

Akemi Allison-Tacha BS, HT(ASCP)HTL
Histology Manager