[Histonet] Cassette Blues

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Mon Jul 13 09:34:34 CDT 2009

Find a different vendor for your cassettes.  There are cassettes out
there with bigger holes.

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
srnty <@t> aol.com
Sent: Friday, July 10, 2009 6:13 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] Cassette Blues

This list has been invaluable to me since returning part-time to
histology after an 8 year hiatus. Thank you.

Here's my latest dilemma. When I left the last job, I swear the holes in
the plastic tissue cassettes were larger. I got to the point where I
could embed and barely have to scrape any paraffin off the block before
cutting. I am making the biggest mess with these newer cassettes. They
are slotted.

First of all, I get air bubbles in the blocks and the tissue has to be
re-embedded. I may have solved this problem by tapping on the top of the
cassette. If anyone has another method, would you kindly share it with
me? Secondly, there is so much paraffin on the outside of the block, I
have to scrape and scrape and scrape. Any one out there able to embed
neatly with these and if so what's your method?