[Histonet] RE: M1 and M2 macrophages

Milne, Katy kmilne <@t> bccancer.bc.ca
Thu Jul 9 12:16:02 CDT 2009

Hey Mark,

It's hard to get markers that are 100% specific as a lot of them pop up
on other cells so you'd probably need to use a combination or markers or
serial sections.

M1 could be s100a8/9 aka calgranulin A/B but this can also be expressed
in tumor epithelium, particularly in breast and a few other types.
Apparently neutrophils too. I brought one in but I didn't really see
many M1 macs in our tumors (ovarian).

M2 could use CD204 or CD206, again, not 100% specific but more likely on
M2 than M1.  CD163 may possibly work with the same caveats.  These can
all apparently show up on DCs too so you'd have to look at morphology.

So, like most markers, nothing is completely specific but they could
help.

Katy

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 12:42:49 -0700
From: "Mark Elliott" <MElliott <@t> mrl.ubc.ca>
Subject: [Histonet] M! and M2 macrophages
To: <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>

I have been asked if there are antibodies/markers available for M1 and
M2 macrophages that would work on human tissue, either frozen or fixed.
Anyone know of any.  I checked Biocompare and came up blank.

Thanks
Mark

M1 macrophage
A macrophage subtype that produces pro-inflammatory cytokines and acts
as an effector of cell killing.

M2 macrophage
A macrophage subtype that acts to dampen inflammatory responses and
scavenge debris, as well as promote angiogenesis and tissue remodelling
and repair.