[Histonet] methylene blue microinjection

Chana de Wolf chana.de.wolf <@t> gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 17:29:24 CDT 2009

John,

It is unfortunate, but common, for researchers to refer to sharp
micropipettes as "electrodes." This is probably because they are frequently
placed over electrodes in for stimulation and recording. I think Salim
probably means that he/she is simply using a micropipette for drug injection
(though he/she didn't mention where, and it could very well be a nucleus
rather than a ventricle).

I have frequently used alcian blue for determining accurate placement of
pipettes for microinjection, either in ventricles or nuclei. I can vouch
from experience that this method works excellently, at least in lateral
ventricle (LV) and paraventricular nucleus (PVN).

To determine *electrode* placement, I run current through the electrode to
create a visible lesion.

Sincerely,

Chana de Wolf