[Histonet] ER/PR HER2 Redux

Mike Pence mpence <@t> grhs.net
Mon Jul 6 14:44:28 CDT 2009

If I were inspecting you, I would ask you to show me how you are in
compliance. I would not stop until you showed me documented times in
formalin.
I would want to see something like " Formalin fixation time in 10% NBF
is 18 hours"

Mike

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Nita
Searcy
Sent: Monday, July 06, 2009 12:38 PM
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Subject: [Histonet] ER/PR HER2 Redux

Funny, I thought I had this issue taken care of but we are once again
discussing it!

What are others doing to verify formalin fixation times? Is it "good
enough" to have a blanket statement in the report that we are in
compliance of the 6-48 hour required time ( we have fixation time on
container dictated into report & we process on the weekend )  or is the
actual hours of fixation ( time in formalin container+ time in processor
= total fixation time) documented into the report?

And do you document ALL? So that even those that are unsuspected
(reductions) get a fixation ( just in case).

Discussion on Wednesday.

Thanks

Nita Searcy, HT/HTL (ASCP)
Scott and White Hospital