[Histonet] Help With Hemo Fading

Rene J Buesa rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jul 2 14:27:55 CDT 2009

The fading most probably is caused by acid in the permanent slide, probably because the sections were passed through the alcohols very quickly after the acid differentiation, or they stayed little time in tap water after differentiation or no bluing agent was used.
It is unlikely that the mounting medium is acidic, although that could also be the cause also. An acid environment over the cover slipped section is the most probable "culprit" for the henatoxylin fading.
Check the staining protocol.
René J.

--- On Thu, 7/2/09, srnty <@t> aol.com <srnty <@t> aol.com> wrote:

From: srnty <@t> aol.com <srnty <@t> aol.com>
Subject: [Histonet] Help With Hemo Fading
To: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Date: Thursday, July 2, 2009, 2:42 PM

Hello everyone,

?

We are having problems with short-term hematoxylin fading and loss of detail. The pathologist is freaking out! I've seen hemo fade over a long period of time but not in a matter of a few months. Slides from one year ago are really bad.

?

I've been out of the business for a number of years and in the interim much has changed including reagents. These are GI tract biopsies processed by microwave.

?

Any thoughts at all?

?

Thanks! Marg