[Histonet] Good Perfusion..."Sacrifice" vs "anesthesia"

JR R rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Jul 1 11:54:30 CDT 2009

Maybe that's what was bugging me before.

I overdose mice on ketamine-xylazine. They go into respiratory arrest, and have no toe-pinch reflex, but the heart is usually beating when I perfuse them.  I suppose technically, they are "anesthetized" and could revover if I put them on a ventilator or something.  But I prefer to think of it and report it as "sacrificed" rather than "under deep anesthesia."

Jerry Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington
Department of Pathology

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 13:45:56 +0800
From: tifei <@t> foxmail.com
To: chana.de.wolf <@t> gmail.com; jfish <@t> gladstone.ucsf.edu
CC: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu; rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Subject: Re: Re: [Histonet] Good Perfusion...

I think many, many labs perfuse
animals under deep anesthesia. Notice the word "DEEP". It is hard to judge
whether the animal can recover. But we know not because it is an overdose
injection.

Then, when you write papers up, you never use "Deep
anesthesia", you use "sacrifice". That is some back rules in writing papers, but
it make some European reviewers better.

To have good fixation on inschemic area, post-fixation
at room temperature with changes of fixative every 24-48 hours is
required.

2009-07-01

TF

·¢¼þÈË£º Chana de Wolf
·¢ËÍʱ¼ä£º 2009-07-01  03:42:30

ÊÕ¼þÈË£º jfish
³­ËÍ£º histonet; JR R
Ö÷Ì⣺ Re: [Histonet] Good
Perfusion...

Histonetters,

Perfusion under deep anesthesia is most certainly not unethical NOR illegal,
and, in fact (as mentioned by Jo Dee), it is necessary for optimal perfusion
and fixation -- the intracellular ischemic cascade begins immediately upon
circulatory arrest, setting off a chain of events highly detrimental to
subsequent perfusion. Indeed, ischemia quickly leads to the "no-reflow"
phenomenon, effectively guaranteeing that you are not perfusing all tissues
adequately at all! It is therefore *most* beneficial to begin perfusion with
a beating heart, and every perfusion protocol I have ever worked under
requires it (especially if the tissues are to be used for EM).

I perform around 5-10 perfusions per week *specifically* to study the
effects of ischemia on reperfusion and neural ultrastructure.

Of course, you should check with your institution's particular rules and
regulations, but perfusion begun under anesthesia is scientifically
justified for the reasons mentioned above and should therefore be relatively
easy to have approved by your IACUC.

Sincerely,

Chana de Wolf