[Histonet] RE: mouse brain fixation Attn: Annette Featherstone

gayle callis gayle.callis <@t> bresnan.net
Wed Jul 1 11:08:45 CDT 2009

When you say zinc fixative, which one are you talking about?  Becksteads
Zinc TRIS buffer made up with zinc salts and formalin free?  Or zinc
formalin.  The Becksteads zinc salt fixative does work, as cited in =
several
papers in the literature, and we tried it but preferred to use frozen
sections, just faster overall.   And if you overexpose the tissues to
dehydrant, clearing agents and heat of paraffin, the sectioning can be =
worse
with the Beckstead fixative.  It makes the tissue dry and crunchy.  IF =
you
do not fix the tissues properly and totally, then the alcohols used in
processing  will finish the fixation, and that isn't going to contribute =
good sectioning either.  How you make it up is critical, and should be =
done
according to the original publication or Nitta et al paper. =20

=20

=20

Gayle M. Callis  =20

=20