[Histonet] 2nd patient identifier on cassettes

Fye Beth Beth.Fye <@t> HCAhealthcare.com
Thu Jan 29 07:47:20 CST 2009

We average over 400 cassettes a day, and put the Accession # on the top of the cassette, the last name on one side and tissue type on the other side.  We are currently still doing all this by hand, but are looking into getting slide and cassette labelers.  We started doing this as a matter of safety and not by any regulatory standard 5-6 years ago.  It is a procedure that has saved us many times over the years.  It is very rare to have cassettes that are mislabeled by both the accession # and patients name.

Beth A. Fye, CT (ASCP)
Pathology Technical  Manager
HCA Richmond Hospital Laboratories
office:  (804)228-6564