[Histonet] Tissue Processors (VIP-1000)

Joseph Saby saby_joseph_a <@t> yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 17:47:15 CST 2009

All-

I did say the unit was a real workhorse!  In all honesty, we did use ours hard for well over 10 years before we moved on the the newer VIP 2000s and VIP 3000s.

Unfortunately, we remember our last experiences better than the early ones.  We had many good years with our VIP 1000s.  It wasn't until the end that we had problems.  Perhaps our service rep wasn't very good at scouting out parts (something I suspected very strongly at the time).  Perhaps he was smelling the commission on a new processor.

All of the later VIPs come with my very strong recommendation.  Very solid equipment, very dependable.  Very, very few interrupted runs, and most of these were operator error.  If Ford Royer says he can get parts, then I would certainly recommend the VIP 1000 as well.  Again, years ago I was told parts were unavailable. But, again, I think that was just the person servicing my unit.

Jos Saby

________________________________
From: Ford Royer <froyer <@t> bitstream.net>
To: histonet <histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu>
Sent: Thursday, January 22, 2009 12:36:57 PM
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Tissue Processors (VIP-1000)

I have been servicing the VIP-1000/2000/3000 (aka: "K" Series) tissue
processors for over 15 years.  They were manufactured new from approximately
1983 to 1993.  They were manufactured and private labeled for Miles
Scientific, Inc. by Sakura Finetek. In the time Miles sold them new, I
estimate that well over 10k units were placed.  In the 15+ years that I have
serviced them, I have rarely come across the problems that Joe describes.
It is true that the Retort Lid can become warped over time, and that brand
new replacement parts are no longer available from Sakura, but there are so
many units in the field, and many refurbished equipment companies with their
own used parts departments, that a used replacement lid (that is not warped)
is easily found.  As to the electronics package that Joe mentions, again, of
the hundreds that I have serviced over the years and to this very day, I
have never had an electronics package (PCB/CPU) fail.  It is true that the
Power Supply to the electronics package does have a limited life span and
will burn out over time (this may be what Joe experienced).  But the Power
Supply is a very common component and brand new replacement units are
readily available from the electronics supply market.  I am not saying that
Joe did not experience a failure of one specific solid state PCB/CPU... it
can happen.  But it is very rare and does not reflect the continued
performance of the thousands of units that are out there... either still in
continuous use from the original date of purchase, or serving a second life
as a refurbished unit.

If you would like further details of my experience with the "K" Series VIP
tissue Processor, please contact me off-List.

~ Ford

Ford M. Royer, MT(ASCP)
Histology Product Manager
Minnesota Medical, Inc.