[Histonet] GMS Contamination

Young, Ian R Ian.Young <@t> hcmed.org
Tue Jan 13 14:17:13 CST 2009

Dear Histonet,

We are currently using Ventana Nexes Special Stain modules for our GMS stains. Our pathologists have been seeing bacteria all over the stains. We decontaminate our machines monthly (which is more than Ventana recommends) and make our solutions up fresh everyday. Yet the contamination persists. We did cultures on the instrument and it was found to be clear. My question is whether or not any other labs have experienced this problem and whether or not they were able to fix it.
Thank you,

Ian Young, HTL(ASCP)
Histotechnologist
Dept. of Anatomic Pathology