[Histonet] Processing 3-dimensional cell cultures into paraffin

Kathleen Roberts kgrobert <@t> rci.rutgers.edu
Mon Jan 12 13:16:59 CST 2009

Histonetters,

I just got a call from a researcher who is growing cells in soft agar in
3 dimensions and would like to process them into paraffin for
sectioning, which I have never done before.  I know she wants to
preserve the 3D structure, and I found in the archives a protocol for
putting cell pellets into agar for subsequent processing into paraffin,
which gives me something to start with, sort of.  Has anyone done this
before?  Can this be done on a processor (I have a Sakura VIP 5), or
should I opt for manual processing?  Either way, I would appreciate a
processing protocol if anyone has one.

Thanks so much,
Kathleen Roberts
Principal Lab Technician