[Histonet] LacZ and cryosectioning

S.J.Ainsworth <@t> bsms.ac.uk S.J.Ainsworth <@t> bsms.ac.uk
Thu Jan 8 11:17:41 CST 2009

Hi,

I’ve been having some trouble x-gal staining some cryosections of chick hindlimb tissue. I’ve been cutting 15 µm sections then x-gal staining (using a protocol from another lab that should work) and counter staining with nuclear fast red. The sections look good with the nuclear fast red, but the x-gal staining only shows up as very faint speckling at x40. I routinely x-gal stain whole chick embryos then wax section and the blue of the x-gal stain is always very bright (both on the embryo before any tissue is removed for sectioning and in the wax sections). To try and find out if the problem was occurring before or after sectioning I defrosted some limbs (that had not as yet been cryosectioned) and x-gal stained them using the method that I use routinely, they showed none of the blue staining I would expect. Has anyone heard of snap freezing knocking down the activity of the β-galactosidase enzyme or is able to suggest anything I could try to solve this, please?

Thanks

Sophie

Sophie Ainsworth
Brighton and Sussex Medical school