[Histonet] equation problem PLEASE help

Anthony Reilly Tony_Reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au
Wed Jan 7 20:39:19 CST 2009

Hello Eva

Put simply

1nmol is 10-9 moles
Therefore 10nmol is 10-8 moles
1 mole = 1,064g
Therefore 10-8 moles = 0.00001064g    or     0.01064mg
Therefore your working solution of 10nmol/ml = 0.01064mg/ml

Your stock solution is 1mg/ml
Therefore your dilution factor is             1.0                   =          94 (93.984962 exactly)
                                                            0.01064

Therefore you can add 1ml stock to 93ml of diluent to get your desired concentration..

 I hope this is useful

regards

Tony Reilly

Chief Scientist
Anatomical Pathology
Pathology Queensland
Level 1, Building 15
Princess Alexandra Hospital
Ipswich Rd,
Woolloongabba Q 4102
Australia
Ph: 07 32402412
Fax:07 32402930
tony_reilly <@t> health.qld.gov.au

>>> <eca9 <@t> georgetown.edu> 8/01/2009 7:46 am >>>
Good afternoon,
I am hoping someone out there will take pity on a "mathematically" challenged individual such as myself. I have been trying for hours to wrap my head around this equation and am now getting to the point where I am more confused than ever. Please help me.
The protocol calls for 10nmol of a substance per 1ml needed. It comes in a 1mg/ml solution and has a molecular weight of 1064g/mol. How do I do this? If for example I needed 2ml of the solution...
The clearer the explanation the better. I really want to understand the calculation not just have an answer. PLEASE HELP ME.
Thank you,
Eva

This email, including any attachments sent with it, is confidential and for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). This confidentiality is not waived or lost, if you receive it and you are not the intended recipient(s), or if it is transmitted/received in error.
Any unauthorised use, alteration, disclosure, distribution or review of this email is strictly prohibited.  The information contained in this email, including any attachment sent with it, may be subject to a statutory duty of confidentiality if it relates to health service matters.
If you are not the intended recipient(s), or if you have received this email in error, you are asked to immediately notify the sender by telephone collect on Australia +61 1800 198 175 or by return email.  You should also delete this email, and any copies, from your computer system network and destroy any hard copies produced.
If not an intended recipient of this email, you must not copy, distribute or take any action(s) that relies on it; any form of disclosure, modification, distribution and/or publication of this email is also prohibited.
Although Queensland Health takes all reasonable steps to ensure this email does not contain malicious software, Queensland Health does not accept responsibility for the consequences if any person's computer inadvertently suffers any disruption to services, loss of information, harm or is infected with a virus, other malicious computer programme or code that may occur as a consequence of receiving this email.
Unless stated otherwise, this email represents only the views of the sender and not the views of the Queensland Government.