[Histonet] Microtome Cutting Safety

Beth Millerman beth.millerman <@t> stiefel.com
Wed Jan 7 15:53:53 CST 2009

I use a fine tipped camel hair brush (sometimes wetted water) to ease the
ribbon from the blade. It works great without any danger to the operator.
The most that can happen is losing the end of the brush and ending up with
a stick. It also prevents damaging the blade holder.

 On convincing your techs...it could help them develop fine motor
movement/cordination if they truely want to develop their professional
expertise.

Beth Millerman, HT, SRA/SWC
Stiefel Laboratories, Inc

                   JR R <rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com>
                   Sent by: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu

                   Wed 07 Jan 2009 11:30 AM

         <histonet
         @lists.ut
         southwest
         ern.edu>
                cc

           Subject
         [Histonet
         ]
         Microtome
         Cutting
         Safety

"I have always used forceps to keep my fingers safe, but some techs are
harder to convince to do this..."

Dear God in Heaven.

Not only are Dumont forceps are more precise and delicate than fingers, but
forceps don't bleed.

I would never, ever allow anyone in my lab to use their fingers to pull
ribbons off of the microtome.   I may as well allow them to pipette
concentrated HCl by mouth.

Write S.O.P's.  Then follow them and enforce them.

Jerry Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington
Department of Pathology