[Histonet] Using Isopropyl alcohol in tissue processor

Courtney Cain Courtney.Cain <@t> pbrc.edu
Sun Jan 4 20:55:01 CST 2009

I was wondering if anyone has tried Isopropyl Alcohol (2-propanol) as an alternative to xylene substitutes in their tissue processors.  We are attempting this method with the Thermo Excelsior to process mouse embryo, placenta, liver, and mouse and rat organs. Currently our animal tissue has been immersion fixed, but we have encountered extremely brittle and poor morphology of placenta and livers. A few livers and kidneys have pulled away from the wax as well.

Here is our basic protocol that has been attempted with and without vacuum.

Formaldehyde                  2 hr
Formaldehyde                  2 hr
Isopropyl Alcohol 70%    20min
Isopropyl Alcohol 90%    20min
Isopropyl Alcohol 95%    20min
Isopropyl Alcohol100%  20min
Isopropyl Alcohol100%  20min
Isopropyl Alcohol100%  20min
Wax                                       30min
Wax                                       30min
Wax                                       30min

Thanks,

Courtney Cain
Research Associate
Cell Biology & Bioimaging Core