[Histonet] RE: testing cutting ability--This is starting to Really Annoy me.

JR R rosenfeldtek <@t> hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 13:58:24 CST 2009

All this talk of having people actually section as part of the interview process is offensive to me.

I have hired and trained lots of histotechnologists.  Mostly I train them myself, from scratch, but sometimes I hire them pre-trained.  Then of course, I re-train them anyway so they can do the work to the specs of my lab.  Any deficiencies they have will be corrected through training.  By me.

At my University there is a formal 30 day (maybe it's longer, I can't recall) probationary period for new hires.   That's good enough.  Why in the world would I need to have them section as part of an interview process?

I am also offended by the "blocks per hour" language.  Partly it's because in my lab we do exhaustive serial sectioning, so I consider a tech who gives me one block every half-hour to be doing a good job.

Maybe it's different in clinical work, but...20 blocks per hour?  And you expect quality work?

Jeez, are clinical histopath labs just sweat-shops?

It's no wonder histopathologists feel overworked and underappreciated.

Jerry Ricks
Research Scientist
University of Washington
Department of Pathology