[Histonet] Practical Exam

Della Speranza, Vinnie dellav <@t> musc.edu
Mon Feb 23 10:33:23 CST 2009

I've returned from a day off to an inbox stuffed with messages about the decision to eliminate the practical for the certification exam. I apologize if someone has already commented on this as I've got lots of reading to do in order to catch up.

A very large reason the practical exam was eliminated was the very high pass rate. I don't have hard data to give you but it is my understanding that the practical pass rate exceeded 95% (my current "guestimate" based on my recollection of information I was given a few years ago)  which to a testing agency implies that the exam is unnecessary if most taking it have no difficulty passing.

Some of this success was thought to be the result of special stain automation being commonly available. Rene's comment (#1 below) was relevant to the observed high pass rate and the awareness that some examinees may have been using automation to complete their stains.

The stark reality was that the vast majority of examinees passed the practical but a significant percentage were unsuccessful with the written portion of the exam. In response to this observation the ASCP in latter years insisted that the written exam had to be passed first before the practical could be submitted for grading.

Vinnie Della Speranza
Manager for Anatomic Pathology Services
Medical University of South Carolina
165 Ashley Avenue  Suite 309
Charleston, South Carolina 29425
Tel: (843) 792-6353
Fax: (843) 792-8974

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu [mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell, Bill
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 11:01 AM
To: Histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Practical Exam

If, indeed, these were the two primary reasons for eliminating the practical exam, they are weak and lazy reasons. An increase in the fee to apply would cover costs, and, well, was it really that much of a problem of people doing other peoples practicals.

I can't imagine it to be out of proportion to what might (I emphasize "might" and add "but likely did not") have occurred sporadically in all the years prior.

I won't pass judgement on a single source, but would love to hear from someone who was a part of the decision process that eliminated this practicum.

However, if it is true, my estimation of the ASCP has grossly deteriorated.

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Lead Histologist
Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847