[Histonet] Practical Exam

jstaruk jstaruk <@t> masshistology.com
Fri Feb 20 15:34:46 CST 2009

I have not been following this discussion but I scanned this one and
remember receiving orders from private people to section certain tissues and
stain them using a variety of staining procedures.  The tissues and stains
were very similar to the ones I had to submit when I took my practical. I
never thought of it until now, I probably aided and abetted a few of these
"cheaters" during my career!

Jim

_______________________
James E. Staruk HT(ASCP)
 www.masshistology.com
   www.nehorselabs.com

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of O'Donnell,
Bill
Sent: Friday, February 20, 2009 4:17 PM
To: rjbuesa <@t> yahoo.com; Histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Practical Exam

Rene,

Ouch!!!

Lighten up!

I never accepted or condoned cheating!  Of course it is immoral! Only a
sociopath would honestly believe otherwise.I never used the words you quoted
me as saying.

Cheating was one of the two reasons (cost being the other) that you yourself
stated was a motive for ASCP dropping the practical.

Maybe I wasn't totally clear.

What I proposed was that cheating was never at the scale or magnitude that
it would be a viable reason for ASCP to dismiss the practical exam. I'm sure
it occasionally occured, but I also believe in the basic goodness of human
beings, so I'm pretty sure it was miniscule in proportion to those who
completed their practicals in dignity and with honesty. My point is that it
was not a reasonable justification to end the practical. If you have
concrete proof, fine, I'd love to see it. If it is your opinion, fine,
everyone has them, but don't confuse them.

BTW "moral terpitude" is a redundant phrase, though an interesting choice.
(Smile, Rene....no more flames. I didn't deserve it and besides.......it's
Friday and I don't have the energy to joust. I'll be better rested on
Monday).

William (Bill) O'Donnell, HT (ASCP) QIHC
Lead Histologist
Good Samaritan Hospital
10 East 31st Street
Kearney, NE 68847