[Histonet] Practical Exam

Pamela Marcum pmarcum <@t> vet.upenn.edu
Fri Feb 20 08:14:50 CST 2009

Thank You, Barry!!  I agree totally with your comments and hope some one
listens.

Pamela A Marcum
University of Pennsylvania
School of Veterinary Medicine
Comparative Orthopedic Laboratory (CORL)
382 W Street Rd
Kennett Square PA 19438
610-925-6278

-----Original Message-----
From: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] On Behalf Of Rittman,
Barry R
Sent: Thursday, February 19, 2009 6:30 PM
To: Victor Tobias; Histonet
Subject: RE: [Histonet] Practical Exam

Victor
I cannot believe that you have said this.
Although I did not think that the practical examination was the ultimate
test of skill ,  it did at least provide some uniformity.
With an extension of the logic that you use it is just as easy to allow the
pathologist to certify that the technician is qualified even without a
written examination.
Without a somewhat standardized practical there is no guarantee that the
technician will have any practical knowledge outside their individual
laboratory.
Didactic without adequate practical knowledge is, as far as I am concerned,
useless.
What is really needed is a national standardized written and practical test
that is administered by NSH.
I am not holding my breath that this will happen.
Barry