[Histonet] Sanderson's Rapid Bone Stain

Jack Ratliff ratliffjack <@t> hotmail.com
Wed Feb 18 09:55:51 CST 2009

Suzanne,

I use this stain two ways routinely for "thick" or "ground" sections (35-50 microns) embedded in MMA & DBP. You can stain with SRBS alone @ RT for 3-5 minutes after a brief acid etch in 0.7% FA for 30 sec (rinse in DI water and blot dry) or combine it with a Van Gieson picrofuchsin counterstain for 1-2 minutes (rinse in 100% EtOH and blot dry) after staining first in SRBS @ 60C for 10 minutes (rinse in DI water @ 60C and blot dry).

I have never used or needed to use SRBS on "thin" plastic sections because I routinely use MacNeals tetrachrome combined with Von Kossa and a Modified Goldner's to obtain all my bone related information. With that said, I have also never used this stain on paraffin sections and would be interested in the results if you try it.

Jack Ratliff