[Histonet] question of the day - embedding

Weems, Joyce JWeems <@t> sjha.org
Wed Feb 18 09:51:04 CST 2009

I used paraffin in the embedding side forever until just a few years ago when I "became enlightened". It really is unnecessary. To me, the mess it saves is worth not having it! J

Joyce Weems
Pathology Manager
Saint Joseph's Hospital
5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Rd NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
678-843-7376 - Phone
678-843-7831 - Fax

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
[mailto:histonet-bounces <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu] Im Auftrag von Tracy Bergeron
Gesendet: Dienstag, 17. Februar 2009 22:15
An: histonet <@t> lists.utsouthwestern.edu
Betreff: [Histonet] question of the day - embedding

Hi all question/dilemma of the day.

        I have been of the view that the longer tissue sat in melted paraffin the harder it got, especially animal tissue.  So with that said, for the past nearly 10 years I have not used melted paraffin in the holding chamber of the embedding center.  I just keep the chamber warm, and work that way.  Thus keeping the tissue from continuing to cook and harden in the wax.

        Everyone else I am currently working with has never seen the method I use, and firmly believe that this causes harm to the tissues if they are not in paraffin.

        Thoughts ideas etc.  I am dying to know if I am the only one that worries about length of time that animal tissue sits in paraffin.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Tracy E. Bergeron, B.S., HT, HTL (ASCP)
Associate Scientist III, Pathology
Comparative Pathology Laboratory
Biogen Idec
14 Cambridge Center
Cambridge, MA 02142
Direct:  617-914-1115
Fax:  617-679-3208
Confidentiality Notice:
This email, including any attachments is the
property of Catholic Health East and is intended
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).
It may contain information that is privileged and
confidential.  Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure, or distribution is prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient, please reply to the
sender that you have received the message in
error, then delete this message.